Blues Boss Maresca Rejects Man City Speculation as Pure Gossip
Chelsea head coach Enzo Maresca has labelled fresh reports connecting him with a return to Manchester City as nothing but hearsay.
The 45-year-old, who previously worked as Pep Guardiola's right-hand man at the Etihad, addressed the ongoing speculation surrounding his next move.
Maresca, named Chelsea boss in June 2024, is under contract running through the end of the decade, with a possible extra year available.
"It doesn't affect me at all because I know that is completely unfounded," Maresca said. "And at this moment, there is no time for these kind of things."
He further elaborated, Primarily, because I have a contract here for several more years. And my attention, I said many times, is just about this club and I'm honoured to be here. But again, it's speculation. One week ago I was linked with Juventus in Italy. So I ignore it because I know that is without foundation."
Chelsea, presently placed in fourth position in the Premier League, are set to face Newcastle United on Saturday in a lunchtime kick-off.
Strain After Previous Comments
Maresca's latest statement come in the wake of he referred to a previous two-day spell as his "worst" since joining Chelsea.
Those original words had fueled considerable talk of a potential rift between the manager and the club's key decision-makers.
When pressed if he had discussed matters with the Chelsea's leadership, Maresca replied, "We are in the same facility, so we talk about various topics. But about the Everton press conference, no."
The manager did confirm he would definitely remain at the club for the coming campaign and called on the fans to keep backing the team".
In more positive news, Maresca revealed that sidelined forwards Liam Delap and Estevao Willian could be back sooner than expected, possibly in contention for a fixture against Aston Villa on 27 December.
Perspective: Unresolved Tension
The apparent strain between Maresca and the club's hierarchy remains as an unhealed issue that continues to cause concern.
While there has been no deepening of the matter in the open, there has equally been no resolution offered, creating the matter unresolved.
The atmosphere during these press conferences has grown notably awkward, leading to concerns it could undermine what has otherwise been a promising beginning to the campaign.
Chelsea's sporting situation is strong: they are in the top four in the Premier League, have reached the Carabao Cup semi-finals, and can secure a better Champions League draw with good results in their final matches.
The prevailing uncertainty is whether this off-field situation might begin to disrupt a squad that was beginning to look cohesive.